Founded by David Hafler and Ed Laurent in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1955, Dynaco was an American hi-fi audio system manufacturer popular in the 1960s and 1970s for its wide range of affordable, yet high quality audio components. In 1950, David Hafler and Herb Keroes started a Philadelphia-based company called Acrosound in order to build and sell audio-quality output transformers, primarily for home electronics hobbyists. The two men refined and developed the Ultralinear audio circuit pioneered by British audio electronics engineer Alan Blumlein, using taps from the output transformer to feed signal back into the output stage screen grid circuitry. The Acrosound transformer circuit was later used in many home-built and commercial hi-fi amplifiers in the early 1950s. In order to appeal to a wider consumer market, Hafler decided to design and build entire power amplifiers as build-it-yourself kits, complete with preassembled, tested circuit boards that only required the customer to wire the boards to the transformers, controls, and power supply to complete the project.
Today, Dynaco is best remembered for its highly regarded vacuum tube stereo amplifier, the Stereo 70 (ST 70). Introduced in 1959, the ST 70 was available as a kit (Dynakit) intended for assembly by the purchaser or as a complete factory-wired unit. The ST 70 used four EL34 output tubes, one GZ34/5AR4 rectifier tube, two 7199 input (driver) tubes, two output transformers, one power transformer, and a preassembled printed circuit board (PCB) containing the driver circuit. It produced 35 watts per channel (wpc). The driver circuit had a single 7199 pentode/triode tube per channel, and used the driver tube to handle both voltage amplification and phase splitting. The output transformers are an ultralinear design, whereby part of the primary winding is fed back to the output tube’s screen grid. This design reduced distortion and improved audio quality.
A masterpiece of efficient circuit design, the ST 70 provided reliable, high-quality audio amplification at an affordable price. The popularity of the ST 70 contributed more than any other single product to continuing consumer interest in tube-based stereo amplifiers at a time of increasing market dominance by solid state audio products. Because of its excellent value for cost, Dynaco tube amplifiers were often referred to as “the poor man’s McIntosh.” More than 350,000 ST-70 amplifiers had been sold when production finally ceased, making the ST 70 the most popular tube power amplifier ever made. Dynaco Catalogs for download at http://home.indy.net
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Item location: Japan | Ships to: Worldwide This listing has ended.
Luxman MQ60 Custom Stereo Tube Power Amplifier. Came out in 1974, this is a true classic tube amplifier. I’m not a technician at these, but it appears to be working fine as I tested with my audio. Please note this is just a basic test that the unit was producing sound through Input, and the volume knobs working well to the best of my knowledge. It’s sounding great! Cosmetically the unit is in nice condition as you can see. There are some minor marks and wear here and there, a bit of chip on the knobs on the back as shown, but nothing major. I’m including plenty of pictures so you can see exactly how it looks. Please refer to my pictures for any details. Sold as is.
Pioneer is largely a creation of the Matsumoto family. Nozomu Matsumoto was born in Kobe in 1906, the son of a Christian missionary. He inherited his parents’ religious faith, which may have played a role in his early desire to bring “technological innovation based on deep emotions” to the Japanese people. Specifically, when Matsumoto heard a new, Western-built phonograph speaker in 1932, he was so struck by its superior tone that he immediately resolved to make such products available in Japan.
In 1936 Matsumoto founded a tiny company called Fukuin Shokai Denki Seisakusho, or Gospel Electric Works. From a workshop in Osaka, Matsumoto and a colleague struggled to devise a “dynamic” speaker like the Philco model Matsumoto had listened to, and after a year of experimentation the A-8 was brought to market in 1937. In recognition of its groundbreaking role Matsumoto christened the speaker Pioneer, and graced it with the corporate logo that was used for decades: the Greek letter omega–symbol of electrical resistance–and a tuning fork.
Technics was introduced as a brand name for premium loudspeakers marketed domestically by Matsushita in 1965. The name came to wider prominence with the international sales of direct-drive turntables. In 1969, Technics launched the SP-10, the first direct-drive model for the professional market, followed in 1971 by the SL-1100 for the consumer market. The SL-1100 was used by the influential DJ Kool Herc for the first sound system he set up after emigrating from Jamaica to New York. In 1972, Technics introduced the first autoreverse system in a cassette deck in its Technics RS-277US and in 1973 it introduced the first three-head recording technique in a cassette deck (Technics RS-279US).
9000 Professional Series: A series of stack-able, or rack mountable, units included the SE-9060 Amp, SU-9070 Pre-Amp, SH-9010 Equalizer, SH-9020 Meter Unit and ST-9030 Tuner. These “Pro Series” components replaced the earlier SE-9600 Amp, SU-9700 Pre-Amp and ST-9300/9600/9700 Tuner that were deemed too large. The 9000 Pro Series was introduced because of demand for smaller, quality components. The European version of the Pro Series had a different faceplate than the US version: 18″ vs. 19″. Because of the narrower faceplate, the European version required special rack brackets to be rack mountable. The brackets came with the European version of the SH-905ST Professional Series rack. The only difference between this rack and the US version was inclusion of those brackets. As a result, the brackets are ultra rare and even the rack was sold in limited numbers in the USA.
Phase Linear was an audio equipment manufacturer founded by Bob Carver and Steve Johnston in 1970. While primarily known as a power amplifier company it also produced several innovative preamplifiers, tuners and the Andromeda loudspeaker. Its first location was a small building at 405 Howell Way in Edmonds, Washington. The company was known for the most powerful audio amplifiers of the era led by the Phase Linear D-500 introduced in 1978. It was a stereo power amplifier delivering 505 watts of clean RMS power per channel. It had a retail price of $1395.
The company was bought by Pioneer Electronics, and Bob Carver founded Carver Corporation in 1979. Pioneer added a high end cassette-tape deck designed in house and CD players designed by Kyocera to the Phase Linear line. By that time the company was in decline due to the increasing cost of research and development, and the departure of Carver. In 1982 Phase Linear was sold to Jensen Inc. which also owned the AR and Advent brands. Recoton later acquired the Jensen brands. Bob Carver went on to form Carver Corporation. He later had a falling out with Carver Corporation management and left to start Sunfire.
Audio Research is one of the oldest continually operating manufacturers in American audio. The company was founded in 1970 in Minneapolis with one goal in mind: to advance the state-of-the-art in music reproduction. Today, Audio Research remains a performance-oriented company by philosophy and design. New product introductions are driven only by genuine advances in technology and performance — the HIGH DEFINITION that is the hallmark of the company’s products. The company has grown steadily over the last 40 years, with a network of top audio specialist retailers across North America and distributors throughout Europe, Asia and South America. The company occupies a 48,000 square-foot, technically-advanced production plant and administrative headquarters in Plymouth, Minnesota, where approximately 50 technical, assembly and support staff guide the product line from concept to finished goods.
The company was started by Simon “Sy” Wexler in 1928. Allied Radio was an American radio manufacturer and retailer, which sold radio sets, tubes, capacitors (also known as electronic components), amateur radio equipment, citizen’s band (CB) radios, miscellaneous communications equipment, electronic kits, and consumer audio systems through retail stores and mail-order.
In 1962, The first industrial catalog was released for its commercial supplier division under the name of Allied Electronics. Through the 1960s both divisions would be headquartered in Chicago. Allied Radio would change ownership in 1970 when Radio Shack’s parent company (Tandy Corporation) bought both Allied Radio & Allied Electronics. In 1999 the company was acquired by Electrocomponents, the largest catalog distributor in the world.
McIntosh was originally founded in Silver Springs, Maryland, 1949. The vision of Frank McIntosh to build a better amplifier challenged what was believed possible. Gordon Gow and McIntosh, together designed the famous ‘Unity Coupled Circuit’. In 1950 the company launched the first preamplifier AE1. This was the first of many products beyond power amplifiers. With a polished brass faceplate and lacquered wood cabinet the C8 Preamplifier demonstrated the importance of industrial design. Switches allowed proper playback of LP records. In 1954, MC60 shown and MC30 amplifiers established the chrome chassis as a featured McIntosh design element. Today’s contemporary products use Polished Stainless Steel. In 1969, McIntosh Amplifiers power Woodstock, a pivotal moment in music history. Three days of peace, love and music for the hundreds of thousands who attended.
Hermon Hosmer Scott founded H.H. Scott in 1947. The prefix H.H. was to differentiate his fledgling company from E. H. Scott, The Scott Radio Company of Chicago. Although H.H. is different than E.H., it is similar enough to make one wonder if perhaps Scott, always the shrewd businessman, hoped that some of E.H. Scotts’ reputation for quality might, by association, rub off onto his new company.
Mr. Scott invented the RC Oscillator, the selectively tuned RC circuit, various RC filters and the modern sweep circuit. He is perhaps best known for inventing the Dynaural Noise Suppressor, and held more than 100 patents (U.S. and foreign) for original research in the field of electronics. Early in his career, Mr. Scott worked on sound motion pictures and high-quality broadcast systems from 1929 to 1931 at Bell Telephone Laboratories, in New York, NY.
The company remained independent until 1973, when it was acquired by Electro Audio Dynamics of Europe. US operations were later relocated to Woburn, MA, offices. In 1985, the famous hi-fi brand was purchased and today operates as a division of Emerson Electronics. Hermon Hosmer Scott, died April 13,1975, in Lincoln, Massachusetts, after a long illness at the age of 66.
Stromberg-Carlson was a telecommunications equipment and electronics manufacturing company in the United States. It was formed in 1894 as a partnership by Alfred Stromberg and Androv Carlson. It was one of five companies that controlled the national supply of telephone equipment until after World War II. Stromberg-Carlson was originally located in Chicago, with Carlson managing manufacturing and Stromberg responsible for marketing. Stromberg-Carlson quickly established a reputation for reliable equipment and stable prices. The company also became involved in the broadcasting industry, acquiring WHAM, the oldest station in Rochester, and rebuilding it into a high power station; one of the first three FM broadcasting stations in the United States and possibly the oldest still in operation, now known as WBZA, dating from 1939. Read more…
“The Radio Craftsmen” seems to be founded in 1947 by John Cashman who before worked at Hallicrafters Radio Company. The first product (perhaps even before the official foundation of the company) is the very special designed kitchen radio “Kitchenaire”. Shown by SAMS Photofact in October 1946, this date is for sure. But the aim was to develop and produce home audio and television sets. Ed Miller and Sid Smith were two major engineers to work for Radio Craftsman during early 40’s – mid 50’s. Actually, Ed Miller is the founder of Sherwood and who leave Radio Craftsman before 1953 (This year he founded Sherwood and mainly focused on integrate amp and receiver). Sid Smith later left Radio Craftsman and joined Marantz as chief engineer in 1954.
Probably the famoust products are the Audio Amplifiers series 500: The first two generations of C500 were mostly engineered by Sid Smith and licensed by Western Electric. The first generation C500 was introduced in 1951. In 1952 the smooth corner version was replaced by the sharp corner version output. Radio Craftsman C500 is based on Williamson design which operates with 2 x KT66 output tube in triode but pure class A operation with 10 watt output. It has very natural, sweet, clear, realistic and transparent tone than many vintage and modern hi-fi amp.
Sherwood Electronic Labs was founded in Chicago in 1953 to manufacture an amplifier designed by legendary audio engineer Ed Miller. Determined to design high performance audio gear and to manufacture it themselves, Miller and his partner John Snow created a company that has long set the standard for audio excellence and efficient manufacturing.
Throughout the evolution of advanced audio electronics, Sherwood’s contributions have been invaluable. The world’s first commercial FM stereo broadcast employed Sherwood technology. Sherwood was the first to introduce digital readout tuners and computer-controlled tuners. And, most significantly, the industry’s first 100% all-silicon solid-state audio receiver came from Sherwood.
Sansui Electric Co., Ltd. is a Japanese manufacturer of audio and video equipment. Founded in Tokyo in 1947, Sansui initially manufactured transformers, but by the 1960s had developed a reputation for making serious audio components. They were sold in foreign markets through that and the next decade. Sansui’s amplifiers and tuners from the 1960s and 1970s remain in demand by audio enthusiasts.
In 1971 Sansui introduced the Quadphonic Synthesizer QS-1, which could make simulated four channel stereo from two channel sources. Sansui developed the QS Regular Matrix system, which made it possible to transmit four channel Quadraphonic sound from a standard LP. The channel separation was only 3 dB, but because of the human way of hearing it sounded relatively good. In 1973 Sansui introduced the more advanced QS Vario Matrix decoder with 20 dB separation. Unfortunately the SQ system developed by Columbia/CBS was the most popular so called matrix system. But later QS decoders could also play SQ records. Some Sansui receivers could also play the most advanced four channel system – CD-4/Quadradisc by Japanese JVC and American RCA. Most big record companies used either SQ or CD-4, but Decca used the Sansui QS system.
In 1910 Magnavox started as “Commercial Wireless & Development Company” at Napa, California. Peter L. Jansen, Edwin S. Pridham (both ex Federal Telegraph Company) and Richard O’Connor (finance) formed the company to achieve a sensitive telephone receiver. In 1915 Jensen and Pridham have put a horn to their “telephone receiver with moving-coil system” and then used it as a “Fog-Horn” for the local baseball park (Radio & TV News, February 1959). They called it Magna Vox. They developed a phonograph pickup and made a joint venture with Sonora in 1917 called “Commercial Wireless & Development Company”. They developed the “SE4005 noise-cancelling microphone” for aircraft intercoms. In 1919 Magnavox moved from 526 Mission Street, San Francisco to 14th Street in Oakland and made vacuum-tube power amplifiers. In February 1920 Magnavox introduced a radio speaker, forerunner of the 1921 Model R-3. 1924 Magnavox began also to produce a tube “A” with a special design and a year later also radios.
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Item location: United States | Ships to: USA and others Buy it now on eBay!
H. H. SCOTT INC. TYPE 208 TUBE AMPLIFIER – VERY RARE! 105 – 125V 5060 Hz | 180-200W MAX. SERIAL NUMBER: 148573. MADE IN USA. IN GOOD VINTAGE CONDITION , WITH SCRATCHES, SPOTS AND SIGNS OF USE – IT WORKS.
PLEASE NOTE: THE UNIT IS FROM THE 50’S AND NOBODY SHOULD EXPECT TO WORK PER ITS ORIGINAL SPECIFICATIONS! NO GUARANTEE OF ANY KIND. IT COMES WITH A POWER CORD ONLY. SELL AS IS, NO WARRANTY, NO RETURNS.
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing. Item location: Austria | Ships to: Worldwide This listing has ended.
Rare LUXMAN SQ38FD – MK-II one of the best
Used but in very nice working, clean and very well condition. All tubes NOS(NEC) inside, incl. the orginal set of Luxman. Absolutly best collectors condition, see images. All original from 1974, Serial-No. look the images!
Optional: Professional-Strong-Transformer, switch from 115V and 230V of 100V! Price: USD 350,00 +Shipping (incl. all Cable!)
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Item location: Canada | Ships to: United States, Canada
This listing has ended
You are bidding on a super MINT McIntosh MC2155 power amplifier. It’s just like NEW!!! Always been kept like a baby. Comes from non-smoking environment. My father completely switched to tubes, so he decided to sell all transistor stuff. Fully serviced and flawlessly working. 150W RMS at 8 Ohms. 300W bridged to Mono. Capability to drive speakers at 2 Ohms. Incredible unit.
Because of the weight, we will be extremelly careful about packing job, it will be wrapped with a lot of bubble wrap and surrounded all around with at least 2″ of styrofoam panels, then putted in 5-ply double wall box. Will be fully insured and trackable. Fully tested by my father, which has more than 30 years of experience in vintage electronics.
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Item location: United States | Ships to: Worldwide
Sold for: US $2,650.00
Vintage Marantz model 8 tube amplifer. Amp is in very good condition for the age. There are scratches and ding on the chassis. Amp work perfectly with no hum or noise. Tubes are all EH electro harmonix. Come with original cage and upgrade power plug.
1972 saw the introduction of Mark Levinson’s JC-1 preamplifier — a concrete, functional symbol of Mark Levinson’s approach to audio reproduction. With a signature blending of vision and science, it was the beginning of a series of groundbreaking audio components that reinforced America’s reputation in high end audio design. Today, more than three decades after the company’s inception, Mark Levinson continues to expand the horizons of audiophiles at home and on the road as well as those of home theater enthusiasts with components and systems that define accuracy, reliability, and enjoyment. Mark Levinson. Since 1972. The same name. The same enduring standards. The same extraordinary level of satisfaction.
In 1934 Harold Joseph Leak founded H.J. Leak & Co in London, UK – and promotes the company with his own name, adversting himself as “Sound Engineer – Technician”. In 1936 Leak & Co. release a P.A. Amplifier, with exhibits at Olympia Exhibition. 13 Watts output using push-pull PX25 power triodes. 40Hz to 12kHz +/- 1dB.
H.J. Leak does not appear in listings of exhibitors for Olympia, so the company may have used another company’s stand for the exhibit). This amplifer was supposedly advertised in Wireless World around 1938, although a search has failed to locate the advertisement. About 1949/1950 the Leak “550” two-way moving coil loudspeaker was released. This loudspeaker was used in the many live-versus reproduced sound demonstrations Harold Leak conducted. Harold Leak died on August 27, 1989.
Soundcraftsmen was a manufacturer of high-end audio stereo components located in Santa Ana, California, United States. The company was founded in 1961 by Ralph Yeomans, a concessionaire in Fedco (a discount membership store chain in southern California, until the chain closed in 1999). Early Soundcraftsmen components included tube-type receivers and amplifiers.
Ralph Yeomans and Charles Gassett, a southern California audio equipment representative and international marketing entrepreneur selling Coastron Sherwood Electronic Laboratories receivers at the time, had an interest in expanding the brand nationwide. Ralph and Charles decided the first product was to be an equalizer, something not already on the market. They employed an electronics engineer, Paul Rolfes, in 1968 to design the equalizer. It was introduced by Charles at the 1969 CES in New York. National distribution started in late 1970. In the mid 1970s they introduced their line of preamplifiers and power amplifiers, including the first preamplifier/equalizer combo. Soundcraftsmen equalizers and their compact “brick” style power amplifiers gained a sizable following among audiophiles during the 1970s and 1980s. All Soundcraftsmen equalizers and amplifiers were made at the company’s Santa Ana, California facility.
The BRAUN design collection consists of approx. 1000 different pieces, mainly from the years between 1955 and 1985. It is probably one of the most complete private BRAUN design collections of this period.
The collection shows how Dieter Rams und the BRAUN Design Department, starting from 1955, managed to give technology a clear shape (form follows function), wrapping it in modern materials. The domestic appliances in particular reveal the impact of “BRAUN Design” on other designers and their product engineering. The collection is either suited for a private collector or a design or technical museum. The innovative aspect becomes evident especially by comparing it with the technical products of other manufacturers of the same time period. Dieter Rams can be regarded as one of the best and most influential designers of the 20th century.
About the BRAUN Design Collection
The collection was created between 1979 and 1981 during my studies of architecture. In 1991 it was joined with a second collection in order to choose the best among 200 double items. Since 2010 the collection has been further extended. Most of the pieces are in a good or very good state even though the function of the devices has not been tested as most of them have been standing idle for more than 30 years.
Braun Collection Catalog shows only part of the collection as it was issued about 20 years ago. However, the list of items and the pictures of the storage facilities are up to date. The collection is completed by numerous brochures, manuals, posters, books, spare parts and so on. There are also some devices from the years before 1955, just to show that at that time they did not differ a lot from the products of other manufacturers.
William “Bill” Grommes founded Grommes~Precision Electronics, Inc. in March of 1946. For more than six years Grommes~Precision called the corner of Milwaukee and Erie in Chicago its own. Began as a company that designed and manufactured signal tracers, Grommes~Precision soon evolved into consumer audio. The name “Grommes” was adopted specifically for Grommes~Precision Electronics’ line of consumer hi-fi products.
Lead by chief engineer and audiophile, Al Hart, Grommes became a pioneer in high-fidelity. The Grommes line started with mono block tube amplifiers, but soon evolved into pre-amplifiers, integrated amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and tuners. Demand for quality high-fidelity amplifiers grew substantially and in 1952, Grommes~Precision moved its operations to Franklin Park, Illinois, just outside of Chicago.
By 1955, Life Magazine declared Grommes one of the best buys in hi-fidelity. Not only for its 55PG amplifier, but also it’s LJ-3 “Little Jewel” tube amplifier kit. By far, one of Grommes’ most popular products was the “Little Genie” and “Little Jewel” build-it-yourself tube amplifier kits. The kits came with a full-color instruction guide and all the parts one needed to build their own 10 watt tube amplifier. It was “So simple…it’s like magic.” To this day, many an audio engineer claim they first got the “audio bug” from assembling their own Little Genie kit. Others sometimes got even more…
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.